Here is a list of my publications to date, both academic (in journals, conference proceedings and circulars) and popular (astronomical society journals, online publications, magazine articles). And my thesis from 2006.
| software |
| in prep | non-academic | outreach/other |
<ADS search | arXiv listing | Mendeley profile | ResearchGate profile | ORCID record>
Current outreach projects and plans:
- A re-make of an old audio magazine for the Society for Popular Astronomy
- Details top secret - for now!
- The Jodcast
- Twice-monthly podcast about all-things astronomical.
- Online radio station broadcasting astronomy and general science programmes 24 hours a day.
Other (past) outreach projects I've led or been a major contributor to:
- National Science Week 2010
- Acquired funding and developed a radio astronomy outreach tour for Australian National Science Week August 2010.
- UNAWE project for ISKAF2010
- Australian partner in a UNAWE co-ordinated project to link primary schools in WA, South Africa and the Netherlands.
- Murchison outreach road trips
- Viewing nights at schools and remote communities around the Murchison/Gascoyne regions of WA.
- Helped organise WA's single biggest IYA event - an astronomy festival at Curtin Uni which attracted more than 4000 members of the public.
- Scouts WA
- awarded a grant to purchase 2000 planispheres for WA Scouts to distribute during IYA2009. Visited several groups around the state and ran telescope nights for visiting troops at Curtin University.
- Planetarium shows for local primary schools
- with a planetarium dontated by Chesire County Council and funding from NATEC. Between us we did hundreds of shows and talked to thousands of kids.
- Ask an Astronomer sessions at Jodrell
- made it a regular feature of school holidays in the Visitor Centre and did the rota for a couple of years.
- Star parties at Jodrell
- started them, and helped the Visitor Centre get them up and running as a reasonably regular event, great public outreach for the Observatory and a huge success!
- Researcher in Residence
- run by the Centre for Science Education at Sheffield Hallam University, placement at Bolton School Boys Division
- Astronomy Go For It! for Guides
- with the Institute of Physics, project received a PPARC grant. On the team which wrote and tested the package. Used it as the theme for a weekend camp with my Guides.
- Schools project on meteor showers
- an idea from the Centre for Science Education to link schools and scientists in the UK and Australia, subject to an EPSRC grant which was unsuccessful. Started the project anyway, as a local outreach project for the Lovell's 50th.
Last updated: Thursday, 10-Jul-2014 16:05:06 BST